Nasir El-Rufai, The Kaduna State governor, has declared that 130 people were killed in a current spate of violence that ravaged several communities in Kajuru local government area of the state.
The governor had initially declared last week that 66 people were killed in several communities at Maro in Kajuru.
He said. “I think this is deliberately designed to cause a reprisal and destabilize the local government during elections.”
However, after a special security meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari and service chiefs at the Presidential Villa on Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019, the governor said the death toll has risen to 130.
The latest report shows that over 130 were killed, not even 66, he said State House correspondents after the meeting.
The governor said the names of the victims of the attack would be released to the media as provided by their bereaved families who have cooperated with the state government.
Some suspects have been arrested by the “Kaduna State Police Command” in connection to the killings and will be charged to court soon.
“We intended prosecuting those arrested today but as we speak three more are arrested. We want to do the needful before taking them to court,” the state’s Commissioner of Police, Ahmad Abdulrahman, told on Tuesday.